PIANO DAY 2019
“Why does the world need a Piano Day? For many reasons. But mostly, because it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the piano and everything around it: performers, composers, piano builders, tuners, movers and most important, the listener.” – Nils Frahm
Piano Day, a annual worldwide event founded by a group of likeminded people, takes place on the 88th day of the year – in 2019 it’s the 29th March – because of the number of keys on the instrument being celebrated.
The aim of the day is to create a platform for piano related projects in order to promote the development of musical dimensions and to continue sharing the centuries-old joy of playing piano. Piano Day welcomes all kinds of piano lovers — young and old, amateur and professional, of any musical direction – to join in this years festivities. It is intended to be the most joyful of all holidays!
JOIN IN 2019!
The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are happy to share this energy with you. Here is how you celebrate Piano Day 2019 on the 29th of March with us:
Organise your own Piano Day Celebration! Send us details of your event via [email protected] and we will come back to you with further details.
- Long Beach (USA) 22nd Mar Miro Kepinski - Hellada Gallery / Hellada Art Center Info
- Hasselt (BE) 27th Mar Peter Broderick - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 27th Mar Emmy Wils - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 27th Mar Isaak Duerinck - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Stockholm (SWE) 27th Mar Pianoday 2019 and Coffee Co - Dramatenbaren Info
- Ljubljana (SLO) 27th Mar Hania Rani - Kino Šiška Info
- Paris (FR) 27th Mar Fyodor Biryuchev, Sasha Boldachev - Cité internationale des arts Info
- Bruges (BE) 28th Mar Geraldine Kwik, Christine Ott, Snowdrops, Hior Chronik, Marie Awadis, Emmanuel Kowandy - Bruges - Concertgebouw Info
- Copenhagen (SWE) 28th Mar Jacob Anderskov, Johanna Borchert, Nick Martin, Thomas Kudela - KoncertKirken Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar Eliane Rodrigues: Chopin - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar De Beren Gieren - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Prague (CZ) 28th Mar Theo Alexander, Jono Heyes, Noirepolde, Mikuláš Tichý- Potrvá Info
- Buenos Aires (ARG) 28th Mar Argentinias Pianoday 2019 - El Escenario Info
- Utrecht (NE) 28th Mar Matteo Myderwyk | EKKO & TiVre - Bartholomeus Gasthuis Info
- Esbjerg (DEN) 28th Mar Jacob David, Hviledag, Julia Andersson and Nörberg - Huset Esbjerg Info
- Leeds (GB) 28th Mar Piano Day: Prelude - University of Leeds School of Music Info
- Lisbon (PRT) 28th Mar Catherine Morisseau, Piananimal - O Bom O Mau e O Vilão Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar Tussen 2 lijnen: Het pianokerkhof - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- New Jersey (USA) 29th Mar International Piano Day - West Jersey Music Academy Info
- Setagaya (JPN) 29th Mar "Eighty- Eight" Yoko Komatsu, Daigo Hanada - Piano Atelier Fluss Info
- Berlin (GER) 29th Mar Gigi Masin, Fabrizio Paterlini, Martyn Heyne, Gregor Schwellenbach - Funkhaus Berlin Info
- Berlin (GER) 29th Mar Piano Day 2019 - Silent Green Info
- Alicante (ESP) 29th Mar Essere - Las Cigarreras Info
- Aalborg (DEN) 29th Mar Piano Day Aalborg 2019 - Rootes Info
- Budapest (HUN) 29th Mar Piano Day - Müpa Budapest Info
- Lyon (FRA) 29th Mar Claudie Maingault, Marlum, Jeopard, Jules Momessin, Lucyna Jeziorna - l'Esquif Info
- Bordeux (FRA) 29th Mar Yonathan Avishai & Franco Piccinno - Espace Saint-Rémi Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Shaun Martin, Sarah Tandy + Elliot Galvin - Jazz Cafe Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Luke Abbott, Jack Wyllie. Reeps One and Andrea Belfi - EartH (Evolutionary Arts Hackney) Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Nico Casal - Southbank Centre Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Bill Laurance - Southbank Centre Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Pink Bird presents TAZ MODI - St James' Church Info
- Catania (IT) 29th Mar Giovanni Renzo - Auditorium Cappellani in Acireale Info
- Ostrava (CZ) 29th Mar André Kellerberg - Stará Arena Ostrava Info
- Waterford (IRL) 29th Mar Piano Day 2019 concert - the Large Room Info
- Leuven (BEL) 29th Mar Lisa Morgenstern, Otto A. Totland, Stefano Battaglia - 30CC Info
- Montreal (CAN) 29th Mar Pianoday - MUHC - Glen Hospital Info
- Kvarn (SWE) 29th Mar Hania Rani - Kornheddinge Kvarn Info
- Leeds (GB) 29th Mar Polar Institute, Me for Queen & Nathan Shubert - Brudenell Social Club Info
- Zurich (CHE) 29th Mar Raphael Sommer, Joel Rehmann, Yes It's Ananias - Kasheme Info
- Phoenix (USA) 29th Mar Piano Fusion - MIM (Musical Instrument Museum) Info
- Berlin (GER) 29th Mar Benjamin Geyer - Mastul Info
- Amsterdam (NLD) 29th Mar Fyodor Biryuchev - Pianola Museum Info
- Moscow (RU) 29th Mar Kapiton Neklyudov, Sergey Suvid, Julia Jen, Elena Oleynik, AlexGalkin – MIET Info
- Mol (BEL) 29th Mar Pianoday - Music Academy of Mol Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Bill Laurance, Ashley Henry - Southbank Centre Info
- Le Mans (FR) 29th Mar Pianoday - Le Mans Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Pieter de Graaf, AVA - Barbican Centre Info
- Mława (PL) 29th Mar Miro Kępiński - Muzeum Ziemi Zawkrzeńskiej Info
- Gdańsk (PL) 29th Mar 3 City Piano Day Festival Info
- Varese (IT) 29th Mar Luca Olivieri - Exit Info
- Paris (FR) 29th Mar Sokratis Georgiadis - Maison de la Grèce Info
- Lima (PER) 29th Mar Sergio Díaz De Rojas - El Paradero Info
- Saint Petersburg (RU) 29th Mar Ilya Polyakov, Denis Stelmakh, Andrei Obolenskii — Central state library of Mayakovsky Info
- Portland (USA) 29th Mar Pianoday Portland - Portland City Hall Info
- Hanoi (PHL) 29th Mar Trí Minh, Deckalavier, Rune Abro - Ơ KÌA HÀ NỘI Info
- Poznań (PL) 29th Mar Michał Kmieciak, Wojtek Szczepanik, Ivan Muela, M. Szczwany, Szymon Siwierski - Stary Browar Info
- Ghent (BEL) 29th Mar Icarus Night - Bar Mirwaar Info
- London (GB) 29th Mar Pianoday - Yamaha Music London Info
- Shrewsbury (GB) 29th Mar Tiny Leaves' Piano Day pop-up performances - The Market Hall Shrewsbury Info
- Clonmel (IRL) 29th Mar Piano Day 2019 - South Tipperary Arts Centre Info
- Warsaw (PL) 30th Mar Piano Day - Otwarta Pracownia Jazdów in Warsaw Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar James Heather, Luke Howard & Martin Kohlstedt - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar Dimitri Leue & Kiyotaka Izumi - Wolinoti - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 30th Mar Orchestre Royal de Chambre & Frank Braley - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Sopot (PL) 30th Mar 3 City Piano Day Festival Info
- Vetulonia (IT) 30th Mar Nico Pistolesi - Il Ritrovo di Bes Info
- Athens (GRC) 30th Mar Alexandra Papastefanou - Philippos Nakas Conservatory Info
- Poznań (PL) 30th Mar Michal Kmieciak, Ivan Muela, M. Szczwany, Szymon Siwierski - Klubokawiarnia Meskalina Info
- Castlemaine (AUS) 30th Mar Sophie Hutching, Frederico Albanese - Castlemaine State Festival Info
- Hasselt (BE) 31st Mar Claire Chevallier & Sergei Istomin - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 31st Mar Bl!ndman sax, drums, strings, piano & decap-orgel - CCHA/cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Paris (FR) 31st Mar Vanessa Wagner, Mischa Blanos & more - InFiné x Yamaha Music Europe - Lafayette Anticipations Info
- Gdynia (PL) 31st Mar 3 City Piano Day Festival Info
- Lille (FRA) 03rd Apr Holeg Spies, Hior Chronik, Geraldine Kwik, Emmanuel Kowandy - Lille, Auditorium du PBA Info
- Berlin (GER) 06th Apr Arovane, Hior Chronik, Marie Awadis, Geraldine Kwik, Emmanuel Kowandy - Silent Green Info
- Woodbridge (GBR) 07th Apr Pianofield, Talvin Singh, Alexandra Hamilton Ayers - Butley Priory Info
- Madrid (ESP) 10th Apr Nico Casal - Sala Galileo Galilei Madrid Info
- Potsdam (GER) 12th Apr Q3AMBIENTFEST - Fabrik Potsdam Info
How will you celebrate the Piano Day? Create your own piano events with friends – anything that is piano inspired! Share your videos, poems, photos and don’t forget to tag us in your posts! Let us know about your ideas and we will do our best to support your event as well as to involve it in the worldwide Piano Day celebration.
Piano players, whether amateur and professional, of any age, or any musical persuasion have kindly shared their specially composed pieces with the piano lovers all over the globe. Listen to the last years Piano Day playlist of these tracks:
There are so many pianos that are not being played for several reasons: they are broken, stored in piano shops or used as items of furniture rather than a musical instruments. At the same time there are loads of talented pianists who have no possibility to own a piano. Piano Day gives an opportunity for the holders of the unused pianos to place them where they can be enjoyed by a lot of people. Everybody who wants to share the joy of playing and listening to piano music is invited to participate and take action! This initiative was started last year and is to be continued!
Nils Frahm has prepared special Piano Day treats.
“In the end, every album production leaves you with the same tough task – making the choices for the final track selection. You leave out some tracks for various reasons: some of the tracks are wonderful by themselves, but they simple don’t fit anywhere in the album and others have to be left out because otherwise the vinyl would become too long for a cut in good quality. However, these outtakes are often as important as the final selection and I thought, they might be a great surprise for Piano Day too. I hope in this case, it’s both …“
solo and solo—remains is available for free download in 24bit and mp3 format.
The first project revealed by the Piano Day team in 2015 was the building of what will be the world’s tallest piano, the Klavins M450 designed by the visionary piano builder David Klavins.
Unlike traditional concert grand pianos, which are usually built horizontally, this giant is orientated vertically. Weighing nearly a tonne and standing at 4.5m high the M450 stretches over two floors, a design that allows the strings to vibrate better. However, the project is not about setting world records in terms of size. The aim of it is to expand and go to the not yet reached physical limits of the piano instrument and it’s sound and thereby opening doors to new musical possibilities and dimensions.
Because of it’s much longer strings and larger soundboard among other factors, the sound of the M450 will be characterised by an even clearer sound with a lot more depth and richness of overtones, producing an unrivaled large harmonic spectrum and intensity of tone, which will increase the musical capabilities of the piano, for modern music in particular. M450 is meant to continue the centuries-old history of the piano instrument and and it´s evolution which had rather stagnated in recent decades.
Piano Day would be nothing without you – dear piano lovers all around the world. We want to say a heart-felt thank you for your commitment to the Piano Day projects. The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are more than happy to share this feeling with you.
Piano Day is a worldwide celebration of the piano every 88th day of the year.
LFT GMBH & Co. KG · Urbanstraße 116 · 10967 Berlin · Germany · [email protected]