PIANO DAY 2020
“Why does the world need a Piano Day? For many reasons. But mostly, because it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the piano and everything around it: performers, composers, piano builders, tuners, movers and most important, the listener.” – Nils Frahm
Piano Day, a annual worldwide event founded by a group of likeminded people, takes place on the 88th day of the year – in 2020 it’s the 28th March – because of the number of keys on the instrument being celebrated.
The aim of the day is to create a platform for piano related projects in order to promote the development of musical dimensions and to continue sharing the centuries-old joy of playing piano. Piano Day welcomes all kinds of piano lovers — young and old, amateur and professional, of any musical direction – to join in this years festivities. It is intended to be the most joyful of all holidays!
JOIN IN 2020!
The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are happy to share this energy with you. Here is how you celebrate Piano Day 2020 on the 28th of March with us:
Organise your own Piano Day Celebration! Send us details of your event and we are happy to include it in the Piano Day Events listing. Write an email to [email protected] and we will come back to you with further details.
- Meise (BE) 22nd Mar 20 Piet Kuijken - Gc De Muze Meise Info
- Hasselt (BE) 26th Mar 20 Frederik Coene, Steiger - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Bonnevoie (LU) 26th Mar 20 Kai Schumacher - Rotondes Info
- Strombeek (BE) 27th Mar 20 Nicolas Callot, Bart Rodyns and Griet De Geyter - Sacristie Abdijkerk Grimbergen Info
- Hasselt (BE) 27th Mar 20 Julien Libeer - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 27th Mar 20 Lavinia Meijer, Michiel Borstlap - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Montreal (CAN) 27th Mar 20 Orchestral Piano Day Celebration - Ville Saint-Laurent Info
- Montreal (CAN) 27th Mar 20 Local pianists will share music to heal people - Cedar Cancer Center in MUHC Info
- Bonnevoie (LU) 27th Mar 20 Piano sur le fil - Rotondes Info
- London (GB) 27th Mar 20 Gavin Greenaway Performs Live for Piano Day - Lauderdale House Info
- Ennis (IRL) 28th Mar 20 Alexander Ardakov celebrating World Piano Day - Glór Info
- Berlin (DEU) 28th Mar 20 Piano Day 2020 - Silent Green Info
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar 20 Wouter Dewit - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar 20 Bram De Looze - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt
- Hasselt (BE) 28th Mar 20 Shida Shahabi, Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch, Zinovia Arvanitidi - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Almere (NL) 28th Mar 20 Piano Day - Goede Rede Concerten Info
- Erlangen (DEU) 28th Mar 20 Tara Nome Doyle - Kulturzentrum E-Werk Info
- Żelazowa Wola (PL) 28th Mar 20 Zuzanna Całka, Maria Gabryś-Heyke - Narodowy Instytut Fryderyka Chopina Info
- Mississauga (CAN) 28th Mar 20 Student Piano Day Performances - Collegium Musicum Conservatory of Music Info
- Bonnevoie (LU) 28th Mar 20 Piano sur le fil - Rotondes Info
- Coos Bay (USA) 28th Mar 20 Piano Day 2020 - Emmanuel Episcopal Church Info
- Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) 28th Mar 20 Great Northern Piano Session IV I Piano Day Celebration featuring Nathan Shubert, Ben Crosland and Steve Luck - Info
- Landsberg am Lech (DEU) 28th Mar 20 Carlos Cipa und Ensemble „Retronyms“ - Stadttheater Landsberg Info
- ZAVENTEM (BE) 29th Mar 20 Zonzo Compagnie - Cc De Factorij Zaventem Info
- Berlin (DEU) 29th Mar 20 Joep Beving - Silent Green Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar 20 Salon Libeer with Julien Libeer, Annelien Van Wauwe - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Hasselt (BE) 29th Mar 20 Liebrecht Vanbeckevoort, Severin von Eckardstein - Cultuurcentrum Hasselt Info
- Covington (USA) 29th Mar 20 88 Keys an International Piano Day Concert - Porter Performing Arts Center Info
- Melbourne (AUS) 29th Mar 20 Luke Howard, Nat Bartsch, Christina Higham, Grace Ferguson - Tempo Rubato Info
- Bonnevoie (LU) 29th Mar 20 88 Ways to Play the Piano - Rotondes Info
- Landsberg am Lech (DEU) 29th Mar 20 Wundertüten - Kammermusik im Bibliothekssaal Info
- POTSDAM (DEU) 03rd Apr 20 Amanda Bloom, Island Songs, Resina - Q3ambientfest Fabrik Potsdam Info
- POTSDAM (DEU) 04th Apr 20 Rauelsson, Cerys, Peter Broderick - Q3ambientfest Fabrik Potsdam Info
- POTSDAM (DEU) 05th Apr 20 Marie Awadis, Vaghy, Mara Simpson - Q3ambientfest Fabrik Potsdam Info
- Stuttgart (DEU) 07th Apr 20 Nathan Shubert, Simeon Walker, Tom Blankenberg - Clubcann Info
How will you celebrate the Piano Day? Create your own piano events with friends – anything that is piano inspired! Share your videos, poems, photos and don’t forget to tag us in your posts! Let us know about your ideas and we will do our best to support your event as well as to involve it in the worldwide Piano Day celebration.
Piano players, whether amateur and professional, of any age, or any musical persuasion have kindly shared their specially composed pieces with the piano lovers all over the globe. Listen to the last years Piano Day playlist of these tracks:
There are so many pianos that are not being played for several reasons: they are broken, stored in piano shops or used as items of furniture rather than a musical instruments. At the same time there are loads of talented pianists who have no possibility to own a piano. Piano Day gives an opportunity for the holders of the unused pianos to place them where they can be enjoyed by a lot of people. Everybody who wants to share the joy of playing and listening to piano music is invited to participate and take action!
For the 2015 and 2016 editions, Nils Frahm released some special Piano Day treats. “Solo” and “Solo—Remains” are still available for free download in 24bit and mp3 format.
“In the end, every album production leaves you with the same tough task – making the choices for the final track selection. You leave out some tracks for various reasons: some of the tracks are wonderful by themselves, but they simple don’t fit anywhere in the album and others have to be left out because otherwise the vinyl would become too long for a cut in good quality. However, these outtakes are often as important as the final selection and I thought, they might be a great surprise for Piano Day too. I hope in this case, it’s both …“
The first project revealed by the Piano Day team in 2015 was the building of what will be the world’s tallest piano, the Klavins M450 designed by the visionary piano builder David Klavins.
Unlike traditional concert grand pianos, which are usually built horizontally, this giant is orientated vertically. Weighing nearly a tonne and standing at 4.5m high the M450 stretches over two floors, a design that allows the strings to vibrate better. However, the project is not about setting world records in terms of size. The aim of it is to expand and go to the not yet reached physical limits of the piano instrument and it’s sound and thereby opening doors to new musical possibilities and dimensions.
Because of it’s much longer strings and larger soundboard among other factors, the sound of the M450 will be characterised by an even clearer sound with a lot more depth and richness of overtones, producing an unrivaled large harmonic spectrum and intensity of tone, which will increase the musical capabilities of the piano, for modern music in particular. M450 is meant to continue the centuries-old history of the piano instrument and and it´s evolution which had rather stagnated in recent decades.
Piano Day would be nothing without you – dear piano lovers all around the world. We want to say a heart-felt thank you for your commitment to the Piano Day projects. The desire to celebrate this versatile instrument is growing greater than ever and we are more than happy to share this feeling with you.
Piano Day is a worldwide celebration of the piano every 88th day of the year.
Leiter Verlag GmbH & Co. KG · Urbanstraße 116 · 10967 Berlin · Germany · [email protected]